Premier League, FA Cup & Others 23/1/2021. Just the one Premier League game today, at 20:00, Aston Villa v Newcastle is on Sky Sports Main Event. Plenty of FA Cup action with highlights including; Southampton v Arsenal at 12:15 on BT Sport 1. West Ham v Doncaster Rovers on BT Sport Extra at 15:00 and Cheltenham Town v Manchester City at 17:30 on BBC One.
Premier League, FA Cup & Others 23/1/2021 – Detailed Channel Information
Premier League, FA Cup & Others 23/1/2021 – Selected Team News
Aston Villa v Newcastle
- Matt Targett hobbled off against Manchester City in midweek with what appeared to be a hamstring injury so his fitness will be a concern but Dean Smith has named him in the squad.
- John McGinn picked up a cheap booking for delaying the restart in midweek and will miss the match on Saturday as a result, which is a real blow given the timing of Conor Hourihane’s departure to Swansea on loan.
- The alternatives to take his place are Marvelous Nakamba or youngster Jacob Ramsey, with the more attacking youngster likely to get the nod given the opposition.
- Trezeguet should be back in contention, with a real tussle for the starting spot on the right set to begin between the Egyptian, Bertrand Traore and Anwar El Ghazi.
- Ryan Fraser will be back available following suspension this weekend and will hope to return to the team on the left, where Joelinton took up a makeshift starting role last time out.
- Allan Saint-Maximin is back in training and could come into contention sooner rather than later given the lack of creativity or threat that the team possess without him, though Steve Bruce has said he’s unlikely to start. It could be a double bluff…
- Federico Fernandez will miss out, while a switch back to a back three relies on the fitness of both Fabian Schar and Ciaran Clark.
Southampton v Arsenal
- Ralph Hasenhuttl is expected to name a stronger side against Arsenal than the one used in Wednesday’s FA Cup third round win over Shrewsbury.
- Southampton still have lots of injury problems so there will be chances for some youngsters to get playing time on Saturday.
- Theo Walcott has already scored against old club Arsenal this season and will hope to feature against them again here.
- Danny Ings is over COVID-19 and back in training. He should lead the line here.
- Oriol Romeu hasn’t featured for most of the month but is closing in on a return. He could feature on Saturday.
- Dani Ceballos and Pablo Mari are expected to miss out for Arsenal through injury. Mesut Ozil has finally left the club.
- Arsenal face Southampton again three days after their FA Cup meeting so expect Mikel Arteta to name two slightly different sides over the two matches.
- Hector Bellerin, Willian, Nicolas Pepe, Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel will push for recalls here.
- Arsenal signed Mat Ryan from Brighton on Friday in a surprise deal and he could even make his debut here to give Bernd Leno a rest.
West Ham v Doncaster
- Still without a replacement for Sebastien Haller through the door, West Ham would be wise to wrap Michail Antonio up in cotton wool this weekend.
- Issa Diop and Fabien Balbuena will both hope for starts after dropping out of favour this season.
- Doncaster manager Darren Moore may look to reward the side that knocked Blackburn out of the FA Cup third round with another go here.
- The League One outfit have a relatively clean bill of health heading into the weekend.
Cheltenham v Manchester City
- Chris Hussey is unlikely to miss out this weekend after coming off in the first-half of their draw with Newport in midweek.
- Sean Long was back on the bench in midweek after recovering from injury. Elliot Bonds is still sidelined for the home side.
- Neither Kyle Walker nor Kevin De Bruyne are expected to feature here after coming off injured against Aston Villa on Wednesday.
- Aymeric Laporte and Nathan Ake are both expected to miss out once again for the away side.
- Eric Garcia was back on the bench in midweek and could provide one of John Stones or Ruben Dias a rest here.
- If Sergio Aguero’s season couldn’t get more frustrating, he has now tested positive for COVID-19.
- Some of City’s budding youngsters will also hope to get the chance to impress Guardiola if picked in the travelling squad.
Focus: Premier League, FA Cup & Others 23/1/2021.
A big thanks to our friends at https://t.me/FootballonTVideas who kindly allow us to use fixture information. A special shout to BOOMEDIA for the excellent pictures, much appreciated.
If you would like to buy us a coffee and help support this project, you can do so buy clicking on this link. I admit, we are more likely to spend it on beer ?
Whatchan.co.uk– We are Football & IPTV’s Favourite Friend.