There is one FA Cup game tonight and four in the AFCON. In the FA Cup at 19:45, on BBC One, Manchester United take on Aston Villa. The AFCON games are on Sky Sports.
FA Cup 10/1/2022 – Manchester United v Aston Villa
- Ralf Rangnick may be dealing with player mutiny any day now as his interim role goes from bad to worse.
- Luke Shaw and Scott McTominay are suspended when Manchester United face Aston Villa in the Premier League next weekend so may stay in the side for the FA Cup here, though Rangnick was said to be disappointed with Shaw’s comments after the defeat to Wolves.
- Fred hasn’t started United’s last two so may come into the side here. Bruno Fernandes may also start having dropped to the bench against Wolves last time out.
- Phil Jones turned in a magnificent display on his first United appearance in nearly two years and should really start here if his body can cope with successive games.
- Harry Maguire still wasn’t able to train as late as Friday so he remains in doubt. Victor Lindelof is back, however, and may start here. Eric Bailly is away at AFCON.
- Jadon Sancho has been less-than-impressive all season, while Rangnick wasn’t overly impressed with Mason Greenwood’s body language against Wolves.
- Donny van de Beek is unlikely to start but Jesse Lingard could get the nod to partner Fernandes in midfield here.
- Aston Villa announced the arrival of ex-Liverpool ace Philippe Coutinh on loan from Barcelona on Friday but it is unlikely he will debut here.
- John McGinn is suspended for Aston Villa’s league match with Manchester United next weekend so will no doubt start this one.
- Ashley Young is nursing a broken toe but will be desperate to face his former club on Monday.
- Ollie Watkins wasn’t involved against Brentford last weekend raising doubts over his availability on Monday.
- Bertrand Traore timed his return to fitness to perfection to make it in time for AFCON. He is now unavailable for Villa along with Trezeguet.
- Morgan Sanson will hope to start after impressing against Chelsea on his last meaningful appearance but Gerrard may go full strength here as he eyes a cup run.
- Axel Tuanzebe is set to end his loan stint with Aston Villa and join Napoli but wouldn’t have been able to feature here regardless due to the terms in his loan agreement.
FA Cup 10/1/2022 – AFCON – Senegal v Zimbabwe
- Watford agreed to release Ismaila Sarr for international duty but merely so that Senegal can confirm their diagnosis that he will not be fit to play, and the winger is thought to be likely to return to his club for recovery.
- Senegal have endured a COVID-19 outbreak in the squad and come into Monday’s game against Zimbabwe without captain Kalidou Koulibaly and goalkeeper Edouard Mendy.
- Alfred Gomis has tested negative and is set to start between the sticks, but Saliou Ciss, Pape Sarr, Bamba Dieng and Famara Diedhiou are among those absent.
- The absence through injury of star man Marvelous Nakamba is a real blow for Zimbabwe, with Gerald Takwara in line to deputise in midfield.
- Young Bournemouth left-back Jordan Zemura is a real prospect, however, while Lyon’s Tino Kadewere is a threat on the opposite flank.
- Elsewhere Knowledge Musona will be relied upon to score the goals to secure progression to the knockout phase, with an international record close to a goal every other game.
FA Cup 10/1/2022 – AFCON – Morocco v Ghana
- Chelsea attacking midfielder Hakim Ziyech was not called up by Morocco for the Africa Cup of Nations after missing each of their last 10 matches. His absence is undoubtedly a blow to their ambitions, however.
- Adel Taarabt has revived his career in Portugal with Benfica but hasn’t made the squad. He played in qualification but has missed their last nine games.
- Youssef El-Arabi is another notable absentee from the Moroccan ranks. The Olympiacos veteran has missed Morocco’s last 12 matches.
- Mohammed Kudus heads into AFCON as an injury concern having not played since November.
- Versatile Crystal Palace man Jeffrey Schlupp was not called up and Ghana also resisted the urge to call on emerging Roma sensation Felix Afena-Gyan.
FA Cup 10/1/2022 – AFCON – Guinea v Malawi
- Guinea will be without the likes of Florentin Pogba and Francois Kamano through injury, while Olympiacos midfielder Mady Camara was somewhat of a surprise omission from the squad.
- Former Barcelona and Spain youth international Ilaix Moriba has confirmed his allegiance to Guinea and will hope to play a part this month having failed to make an impact at RB Leipzig to date.
- However, Kaba Diawara’s side are strong in the midfield area so the teenager will have to bide his time with the likes of Amadou Diawara, Naby Keita and captain Ibrahima Sory Conte ahead of him.
- The decision to leave Gerald Phiri Jr. – one of just two players in the ranks with double figures for international goals – on the reserve list seems a curious one.
- The other such player is Orlando Pirates forward Gabadinho Mhango, who will lead the line for the Group B underdogs.
- Romanian coach Mario Marinica has just two players at his disposal who ply their trade in Europe, with youngster Charles Petro – on the books of Champions League debutants FC Sheriff – perhaps one to keep an eye on, capable of playing at the back or in midfield
FA Cup 10/1/2022 – AFCON – Comoros v Gabon
- This is a monumental occasion for Comoros, as they gear up for their first ever Africa Cup of Nations.
- Mario Lemina and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang tested positive for COVID after partying in Dubai and now both look set to miss Gabon’s opener.
- Aaron Boupendza or Axel Meye may well be tasked with leading the line in Aubameyang’s absence.
- Youngster Alex Moucketou-Moussounda may replace Lemina in midfield against Comoros on Monday eve
A big thanks to our friends at https://t.me/FootballonTVideas who kindly allow us to use fixture information. A special shout to BOOMEDIA for the excellent pictures, much appreciated. Credit to whoscored.com and BBC football who we link to.
If you would like to buy us a coffee and help support this project, you can do so by clicking on this link. I admit, we are more likely to spend it on beer ?
Whatchan.co.uk– We are Football’s Favourite Friend.
If you would like to see your advertisement here, drop us an email, we would love to hear from you.
We are proud to say we have over 10,000 unique visitors over a three-month period, get your message out to a new audience – at very reasonable rates.
Fixtures / Live Scores / Results
Our condolences go out to Dan who does our artwork today. Sorry to hear your news mate.