09/03/2022 Football. Two games are to be played in the Champions League. Manchester City takes on Porto and Real Madrid plays Paris St Germain.
09/03/2022 Football – Champions League – Manchester City v Porto
- It’s just as well Manchester City won the first leg 5-0 as they have a problem at the back on Wednesday.
- Ruben Dias and Nathan Ake are still injured, Kyle Walker is suspended and Joao Cancelo is sidelined through illness.
- Pep Guardiola will more than likely have to call on one of City’s youngsters to play in defence or could alternatively drop Fernandinho into centre-back and play John Stones at right-back.
- Kevin De Bruyne picked up a knock in the Manchester Derby at the weekend and is also one booking away from missing City’s next Champions League game. He will be rested here.
- Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling didn’t make it off the bench in their 4-1 derby win over Manchester United on Sunday and should rotate into the side here. Liam Delap will hope to make a rare start up front given City’s advantage in the tie.
- Matheus Nunes misses the return leg due to an accumulation of bookings in the competition.
- The tie is really over for Sporting CP so Ruben Amorim has to decide whether it’s worth fielding his best available XI in Manchester.
- Zouhair Feddal recovered from injury to make the bench at the weekend but Pote, Joao Palinha and Daniel Braganca all missed out and remain doubts here.
- 16-year-old Dario Essugo made his full league debut for Sporting at the weekend and Sporting are actually short of options in central midfield heading to the Etihad.
- Former Leicester striker Islam Slimani will hope to keep his place in attack after scoring a match-winning brace at the weekend. Paulinho is the alternative up front.
- Matheus Reis will either play as a third centre-back or at left wing-back for the away side.
09/03/2022 Football – Champions League – Real Madrid v Paris St Germain
- With Toni Kroos sidelined due to injury and Casemiro suspended, Real Madrid are without two of their three first choice central midfielders for the welcome of PSG.
- Eduardo Camavinga could anchor the midfield trio in a 4-3-3, while Federico Valverde may also start for the hosts.
- Ferland Mendy is suspended after his yellow card in Paris, with Marcelo and Nacho both options to deputise at left-back.
- Sergio Ramos has again been ruled out against former club Real Madrid, while Ander Herrera will play no part either.
- Leandro Paredes missed the defeat to Nice at the weekend due to injury and will be assessed, as will Kylian Mbappe, who sustained a serious knock to the ankle in training.
- Idrissa Gueye, who trod on Mbappe’s foot in training, is a possibility to deputise for Paredes in midfield should the Argentine not be fit enough to start, while Georginio Wijnaldum is also an option, though after another disappointing performance, the Dutchman is unlikely to start.
09/03/2022 Football – Europa League – Porto v Olympique Lyonnais
- Wilson Manafa is the only injury concern for FC Porto heading into Wednesday’s Europa League clash with Lyon.
- Vitinha and Marko Grujic are in competition to start in central midfield for the home side in midweek.
- Fabio Vieira and Mehdi Taremi are battling to start up front, though the latter scored at the weekend.
- Jeff Reine-Adelaïde came off the bench at the weekend to make his first appearance in 13 months after an ACL injury.
- January arrival Romain Faivre netted his first goals for Lyon as the French side ran out 4-1 winners at Lorient at the weekend.
- Sinaly Diomande and Rayan Cherki both look set to miss out for the away side on Wednesday night.
- Thiago Mendes, who usually plays in midfield, has found himself operating at centre-back in recent weeks.
- Tanguy Ndombele and Houssem Aouar are in competition to start in central midfield for Lyon.
09/03/2022 Football – Europa League – Real Betis v Eintracht Frankfurt.
- Real Betis find themselves short at left-back with Juan Miranda and Alex Moreno both sidelined. Andres Guardado started at left-back on Sunday but was forced off after 11 minutes through injury.
- Cristian Tello replaced Guardado and Aitor Ruibal moved from left wing to left-back, having previously played as a right-back this season. He may have to deputise in that position against German side Eintracht Frankfurt.
- Sergio Canales is fresh to return here after missing Betis’ defeat to Atletico Madrid at the weekend due to suspension.
- Rui Silva has recently lost his place in goal domestically to Claudio Bravo but will at least hope to keep the gloves for their Europa League campaign.
- Goncalo Paciencia carries over a suspension from the group stage of the competition and will sit Wednesday’s game in Spain out.
- Makoto Hasebe was fit to make the bench in Frankfurt’s 4-1 win at Hertha Berlin at the weekend, while Martin Hinteregger recovered from injury to start.
- 20-year-old Ansgar Knauff will hope to keep his place in the side after a standout performance against Hertha last time out.
- Rafael Borre ended a six-game run without a goal at the weekend to do his confidence the world of good heading into Wednesday’s game.
OTHER FOOTBALL – WEDNESDAY 9 MARCH
1:00am CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – New York City v Comunicaciones
Canada – OneSoccer
USA – Fox Sports 1
3:00am CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – Seattle v Leon
Canada – OneSoccer
USA – Fox Sports 1
4:00pm SOUTH AFRICAN NBK CUP – Gallants v Pirates
South Africa – Supersport PSL
If you want to know when Whatchan is updated, join our Telegram channel to know the moment we update the page. https://t.me/whatchan – we’d love to see you there.
A big thanks to our friends at https://t.me/FootballonTVideas who kindly allow us to use fixture information. A special shout to BOOMEDIA for the excellent pictures, much appreciated. Credit to whoscored.com and BBC football who we link to.
If you would like to buy us a coffee and help support this project, you can do so by clicking on this link. I admit, we are more likely to spend it on beer ?
Whatchan.co.uk– We are Football’s Favourite Friend.
If you would like to see your advertisement here, drop us an email, we would love to hear from you.
We are proud to say we have over 10,000 unique visitors over a three-month period, get your message out to a new audience – at very reasonable rates.
Fixtures / Live Scores / Results